Saturday, June 21, 2008

JONES JUMPS THE QUEUE IN CHINA

Australia’s Christian Jones took pole position for Round 5 of the Porsche Carrera Cup Asia in Zhuhai. Jones set the time early in the 30-minute qualifying session on the 4.3km Zhuhai International Circuit, clocking a lap of 1:39.607, a time which was not to be bettered.

Jones, who is looking for backing to complete the rest of the season, proved once again he is a force to be reckoned with in just his second season of GT racing. The team was forced to leave its engineer behind in Australia, but this was no hindrance to the on-form 28-year-old who lies third in the Championship standings: “It was perfect!” he said. “The set up was good, but I haven’t driven at all since the last rounds in Shanghai, so I was a bit worried about my driving. Last season we won two races in a day in Chengdu. I don’t want to jinx it, but I hope to repeat that tomorrow.”

Starting the first of tomorrow’s two races tomorrow alongside Jones will be GruppeM Racing’s Tim Sugden, who came within .026 of a second of Jones’ time. The Briton was frustrated as he struggled to judge braking distances: “The car was good enough for pole, but unfortunately the driver wasn’t!” he said. In the closing minutes of the session, it all came together for the experienced Sugden, although he couldn’t better Jones’ time.

On the second row of the grid will be the Hong Kong duo of Darryl O’Young of Team Jebsen and Team BetterLife driver Marchy Lee. Lee’s session was dramatically interrupted mid-way when he was mistakenly pulled in to Parc Ferme by track marshals.Not only did the interruption break his concentration, it also lost him valuable track time. After he was released, and pitted for a tyre change, he had time for just one more lap before the chequered flag. “We work so hard, it’s a real shame,” said a disappointed Lee. “It was a mistake on their part, but I lost three or four laps. It’s not a problem where I am on the grid, but it was unnecessary.”

The top six drivers were separated by less than a second, with Championship leader Christian Menzel of Team StarChase fifth quickest, ahead of SC Global Racing’s Matthew Marsh. Menzel, who has a nine-point lead in the standings from O’Young, is new to the Zhuhai track: “I was disappointed because the gear cut sensor was broken. That is one point why I lost time. But for tomorrow I’m very optimistic, and I’m happy to have the chance to fight a little bit. With such a strong field, and four drivers willing to give no quarter in front of him on the grid, he will have his work cut out in tomorrow’s race.

Matthew Marsh, competing with series newcomers SC Global Racing, believes the team is finding its feet in this, its first season.The 2004 Porsche Carrera Cup Asia Champion said: “To be half a second off the series leader is a big step forward. Patrick de Groot has quickly understood what his driver needs, and is giving me a fabulous car.”

Rounds 5 and 6 of the Porsche Carrera Cup Asia will be held tomorrow, Sunday, over 12 laps each. RLT.

No comments: